September 22, 2023
Fall (or autumn, depending on your taste) is almost here in the northern hemisphere! The changing colours, the cooler temperatures, the spooky vibes. I’m ready for it (even if where I live sometimes gets, like, a week of fall weather and that’s it 😂).
Want to use it as inspiration for your poetry or kid’s stories? Here are 15 fall writing prompts!
(And if you’re in the southern hemisphere, check out my 15 Spring Writing Prompts post.)
1. Leaves changing colours.
2. Fall scents: spices, apples, decay.
3. Apple picking.
4. Colder nights.
5. Pumpkin patches and/or hay rides.
6. Going out for Halloween: the decorations, the smells, the children trick-or-treating, etc.
7. Controversial – but in my opinion delicious – candy corn.
8. Haunted houses: terrifying or friendly ghosts, how you feel encountering them, what they remind you of.
9. Your favourite monster: their quirks, personality, how they influence you or those around them.
10. Or you could explore Samhain instead of Halloween!
11. Harvest season.
12. Regional/cultural celebrations (ex. Diwali, Dia De Los Muertos, Guy Fawkes Night, Chuseok, Chanukah, etc.)
13. Cozy sweaters/blankets/socks.
14. Drinking a hot beverage.
15. Using the fireplace for the first time in months.
If any of these spark something for you, let me know! I’d love to hear about what projects you come up with.
And if you want help editing said project, send me a message! I’d be happy to work with you 😊