Hi! I’m Kaila Desjardins (she/her), and I’m a freelance editor and aspiring author. When I’m not working with a client or on my business, I’m likely writing, editing, or daydreaming about my current writing project. Or the book I’m reading. Basically, my brain is always focused on one story or another!
After getting my B.A. in English literature from the University of Ottawa, I landed an office job. It was great experience, the people were lovely, but it wasn’t what I wanted. Eventually, that led to me to make the decision that I should give freelance a go. I haven’t regretted it once.
With that English degree, a certificate from Universal Class in Proofreading and Copyediting 101, a few additional editing courses, and that love of the written word on my side, I settled into this role quite easily. I love (and I mean love) helping writers put together their collections, or tidy up stray sentences. I feel like I’ve been invited into their lives, and I’m honoured every time someone lets me in.
As I said, I’m also a writer. I’ve been writing ever since I can remember, but I made it a more serious goal to be a published author when I was in university. I’d love to be able to update this page one day to say that I’ve got a book out in the world!
A few fun facts about me:
- I’m a member of Editors Canada
- I live in Ottawa, Canada, on unceded Algonquin Anishinaabe territory (thus the Canadian English spellings)
- My favourite poem is Edgar Allan Poe’s “Annabel Lee”
- My favourite books are the Serpent & Dove trilogy, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, and Clockwork Princess
- Disney World is my happy place
- I’m a proud Trekkie
- I love to travel, and nature walks soothe my soul
Interested in working together? Contact me!